1.13.2012

Harrisburg Is Cool, Pt. 1: The State Museum of Pennyslvania


On Wednesday, Joe and I explored the State Museum. Having lived in the Harrisburg area for nearly a decade, I am ashamed to admit that this was my first visit to the Museum.  I was pleasantly surprised and quite pleased with the various exhibits and stories told through the mastery of curation.  

The first floor housed a special showcase of works produced by PA residents and the important influence of their individual cultural backgrounds within their communities, as well as on a much broader scale. 


The 2nd floor mainly displayed local artists.  The paintings were beautiful and engaging; we spent a large portion of our time admiring the immense and diverse talent.  Joe was so excited that he took pictures of just about every painting/piece, but this post is long enough as it is. Too many pictures to post! 


One of my favorite works was this "Water Druid Cloak" made from mostly found objects.  So cool! 


The top floor housed the Anthropology/Archeology section, which I loved, of course.  (Pictures are a bit blurry)


I also made some new friends, like Mr. Mastodon and a giant fish/shark creature. 



If you get the chance, I highly recommend a visit to The State Museum of Pennsylvania.  Admission is only $5!  It was a great way to pass the time on a rainy day and very educational, as museums should be. 


No comments:

Post a Comment